2020年2月13日 星期四

The Wind in the Willows (1908) by Kenneth Grahame


Mary Harwood 發文到 The Golden Age Of Illustration
From my aged copy of 'The Wind in the Willows' by Kenneth Grahame, illustrated by Ernest H Shepard, 96th edition, dated 1950.
I also have a copy of 'Through the Shepard Archive', The Story of E H Shepard 'The Man Who Drew Pooh', researched by Arthur R Chandler, in which I was interested to read from E H Shepard's own words the following:
“When I was commissioned to illustrate the Wind in the Willows in 1930, I hesitated, as I considered it so perfect a work of art in itself that no pictures could do justice to is, but I learnt that it had been illustrated already by various artists, none of whom, to my mind, had made a success of it. I suppose I felt that I could do better than this, anyway, I could try.
I was lucky to have an introduction to Kenneth Grahame given me by a friend and armed with this I went over to his house at Pangbourne on the Thames, he was very kind but I think he rather feared another illustrator! He told me of the spots on the river where his little animals lived and where to find them all, where was Toad hall, where Rat kept his little boat. He said he himself would take me to these places but he was too infirm.
Armed with these instructions & my sketch book I set out. It was very peaceful in the meadows by the river and I kept as quiet as possible as I moved along the bank – some movement in the grass might perhaps mean that mole was about or the line of bubbles on the water told me that rat was not far away. I looked for the tiny boat among the rushes and peered into the dark hole in the bank, fancying that I could see a pair of tiny eyes watching me. I stayed and sketched till the light failed, then I picked my way carefully across the fields, back to reality.
I was to see Kenneth Grahame once again. When I had made some drawings for the book I took them to Pangbourne. He was critical but I think he was pleased with my efforts and when he handed the drawings back to me he said “I'm glad you've made them real”. I always regret that he did not live long enough to see the new edition completed.”




“Spring was moving in the air above and in the earth below and around him, penetrating even his dark and lowly little house with its spirit of divine discontent and longing.”

―from THE WIND IN THE WILLOWS (1908) by Kenneth Grahame


Since its first publication in 1908, generations of adults and children have cherished Kenneth Grahame’s classic, The Wind in the Willows. For in this entrancing, lyrical world of gurgling rivers and whispering reeds live four of the wisest, wittiest, noblest, and most lovable creatures in all literature—Rat, Mole, Badger, and Toad of Toad Hall. Like true adventurers, they glory in life’s simplest pleasures and natural wonders. But it is Toad, cocky and irrepressible in his goggles and overcoat, whose passion for motorcars represents the free and fearless spirit in all of us; just as it’s Toad’s downfall that inspires the others to test Grahame’s most precious theme—the miracle of loyalty and friendship. READ an excerpt here: https://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/…/the-wind-in-the-willo…/





The British Library


The Wind in the Willows, 1908




大英圖書館


快樂#NationalBadgerDay!這是我們的最愛-獾從柳林風聲!



Happy ‪#‎NationalBadgerDay‬! Here's our favourite - Badger from The Wind in the Willows!





這本書應該有好幾個漢譯本。

柳林風聲- 谷歌圖書結果

肯尼斯· 格雷厄姆 - 2007 -少年小說- 120頁
按照蟾蜍,鼠,獾,鼴鼠,和他們的許多朋友,因為他們“只是搞亂有關船隻。

簡介· · · · · ·

  《楊柳風》這部經典童話初版於1908年。書中描述了河鼠、鼴鼠、獾、蛤蟆這幾隻動物的生活,它們都曾在追求新鮮、刺激、冒險的心態下遠離家園,尤其是蛤蟆差點丟失了性命,但最終都在家的召喚下回歸了家園和自我。這部作品優雅、詩意,充滿了田園風格,也透露出了大自然蘊含的質樸理念。

作者簡介· · · · · ·

   肯尼斯·格雷厄姆(Kenneth Grahame, 1859-1932),英國兒童文學作家。他喜愛文學,用晚上和假日的時間寫作。同時,他更愛研究自然,這正好為他以動物為主角的童話準備了豐富的材料。他先後出版了《黃金時代》、《夢幻的日子》、《楊柳風》三部童話,其作品深為英美讀者喜愛。

目錄· · · · · ·

和可愛的動物們共遊古老的河岸(中譯本序)
一本關於家園最好的書(譯者序)
第一章河岸
第二章大路
第三章野林
第四章獾先生
第五章溫馨住宅
第六章蛤蟆先生
第七章黎明門前的笛手
第八章蛤蟆歷險
第九章皆是遠遊人
第十章蛤蟆的第二次歷險
第十一章蛤蟆的眼淚像夏天的暴風雨來去匆匆
第十二章英雄歸來

沒有留言:

網誌存檔